Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tuesday

My first 14 hour day.

I started off the morning shadowing Melissa Phillip in the studio. She had two different food photo shoots. She explained how she shoots food stuff. The food was set up on a studio table and a soft box was put on each side of the table to light the equalize the light on the table with no shadows. She then added a light to go over top of the food to give it some extra lighting. She explained the different angles and worked with a designer on one of the shoots to make sure it was what she needed. Food photography is a whole different world of photography.

After the studio stuff, I headed to an intern luncheon. There were five other interns from different departments all over the newspaper. We had lunch and listened to Dan Cunningham talk about sports reporting and writing, enterprise writing and how to drive people to the page.

The rest of the afternoon I spent walking around to several photogs: James Nielsen, Melissa Phillip, Johnny Hanson and Michael Paulsen.

Michael talked portraits with me. I asked him to show me his portraits because everyone tells me he's the best here. And he is. His subjects are set up in the perfect spot. He uses a soft box to light the people perfectly - not too drastic to make it look fake, but just enough to make them pop. What he does, is truly amazing. I'm still hoping that before I leave I am able to go with him on a portrait shoot to watch his actions.

I talked to James about the project he is working on.

I talked to Melissa about how her photos turned out from the shoot. We also talked about various ways of approaching people at events and on the street. She gave me insight about people who don't want there photo taken. If they don't want their photo taken and they don't want to give you their name - let them be. She was telling me that it's not worth it to try and talk people into it because more times than not, they change their mind and editors will get a call in the morning. Melissa also printed off the caption guidelines for me.

She talked to me about feature ideas and how it's best to find an event going on, that way you don't have to drive around all day looking for something interesting that hasn't been shown before.

Johnny helped me with the photo mechanic coding. I am really excited to take this information back to the DI. It will be a huge asset in our upcoming sports coverage. He's always checking in with me to make sure I'm aware of everything I need to know.

Towards the end of the afternoon Julio Cortez came by and picked me up and we went to the Astros game. He showed me all the ropes of that - where you can shoot, when you can move, the most important things to shoot, the press room, the photo work room, how to set up a remote, how to insert codes in photo mechanic for team rosters, and the list goes on.

I've always wondered how photographers get their photos up so fast after a game. Now I know. You have everything all set up before the game starts. As you go, you tag on the camera. Julio downloads photos after each inning, finishes the captions and sends them. It's an amazing process.

In a way it was surreal being in the photog box during the game, but on another side - that's just what we do. We have front row access to it all because it's our job to show the people something different, something new, something they missed.

We went to the work room when the game was finished and I sent four photos back to the Chronicle desk.

Wednesday morning when I was getting ready to head back to work, Kathleen knocks on my door to tell me that one of my photos was on the front page of the sports section. They ran a one column photo, but hey, a photo on the front page of the sports section - is a photo on the front page of a sports section. It's even better when your byline is right there.

On top of it all my photo was intertwined with my cousin Jose de Jesus Ortiz's story. He's the beat writer for the Astros and is truly amazing at what he does. I was very proud to see my name and his name less than inches printed apart from one ajnother on the front page of the sports section in a prestigious metropolitan newspaper like the Houston Chronicle.

2 comments:

  1. I was really happy that you got your photo on the front. I wish it had been bigger, but w/ Texans camp going on, everything else falls second. But still, great job.

    And even better job on Wednesday, when you got key photos from key plays. Your hard work paid off. I'm hoping you stay this enthusiastic, because if you do, you'll continue to kick everyone's butt.

    btw... click here:

    http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?p=koehn&ei=UTF-8&fr=&c=images

    your photos were put on the wire for the world to see.

    google your name and see what web sites might have used your photos.

    again, great job out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's the evening before our big 6:45am shoot, and I just got done texting you to "bring a smile, a pair of sneakers and your intuition" to this fashion portrait in the morning. I'm feeling a bit of pressure here; I had no idea people regarded my portraits as good. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a success and you can gain something.

    I guess these will be my parting words since you're leaving in a few days :(

    You're on the right track. You have the passion, you're asking the right questions, and from what I've seen, you work really hard. Remember the information in the first email I sent you: that's three years of gathering knowledge distilled to a page. This job is not easy, and one must make sacrifices (staying up late, eating meals of vegetables and meats at a stranger's table, dedicating your time to your bosses wishes). Try to find a balance between your personal life and work; you must find days when your regenerate, when you pick up a camera for FUN rather than work.

    Keep asking questions, and apply what's been shared. Learn video, walk into an assignment Matrix style (...you know why you are there, dispel the gremlins, and do your job, enter that state of flow where everything subsides but the task...), confidence, confidence, confidence. Subjects read our cues, if one doesn't feel natural or in control, the subject will fail to relax and reveal their true self. Look at things holistically, you are them, there is a part of you in everyone, respect that fact and treat them how you'd like to be treated by a good friend you haven't seen in awhile.

    And remember Julio's number 1 rule, HAVE FUN. you will fail, but just make sure your successes outnumber the slips. Finally, your smile is your most powerful weapon, it will open doors and fix many problems. Laugh, joke, tell stories, and live, then snap the shutter to commemorate the meeting of old friends.

    ReplyDelete