Friday, August 7, 2009

Drivin' Solo

Today I headed out to Reliant Center in downtown Houston by myself to shoot the 23rd annual Street Olympics. There's a summer program that engages thousands of kids in the Harris County area in sports activities and then at the end of the program - they have this olympics where the finalists - 2,800 kids, compete against each other.

I was there from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and tried to work all the various angles and see things from a different perspective.

The most difficult thing I ran into was getting the kids' names at this kind of event. It was really difficult because they were all wearing the same shirt and they were running from here to there. One minute I'd be shooting pictures, the next minute the kid would be gone. I struggled with it a lot, but in the end I thought I did a pretty good job of getting names. I had made it a priority because of what had happened earlier this week with one of my photos that they couldn't run because the guy wouldn't give me a name. Again I say - names, names, names.

It turned out to be a good day though. Nine of my photos were selected to enter the system. Hopefully one will turn up in the paper, and a gallery would be nice too! We will see tomorrow :)

The rest of the weekend I will be relaxing - probably playing Barbies, possibly swimming, changing diapers, feeding bottles, and the list goes on. Living the dream down here, living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment