Monday, August 10, 2009

This is the way we learn

Today was a great learning experience. I was sent on two different spot news stories - and learned big lessons at them both. I got a lot of insight from Mr. Gonzales as well as Mayra Beltran, Julio Cortez, Nick de la Torre, Johnny Hanson and Melissa Phillip.

Important things I learned today:
  • Although spot news can be overwhelming, you have to take a step back and breathe. You're there to compose a photo, so you need to relax and focus on what you are seeing. (Steve)
  • In spot news - get what's going on in front of you, but pay attention to what's going on in your peripheral vision. Be ready to catch the reactions of the people around you, on top of the action that's going on. (Mayra)
  • Look for different vantage points. If you can get up high, get up high. If you need to cross some barriers, cross the barriers. Pay attention to what you are doing though. It's always good to ask - but sometimes it's easier to just act like you know exactly what you're doing and do what it is you need to get done. Do not trespass though - ask for permission if you need to stand on someone's roof or get into someone's business. (Mayra)
  • In certain situations you stumble upon people whom may be upset after losing someone, something, or have the possibility - you still have to get their name. Talk to them like a human being though, you don't just walk up to them and ask for their name - tell them you are sorry to bother them at such a terrible time, ask them how they are doing, and work your way up to their name. If it's impossible to get to the person - ask the people around...but don't take one person's word for it - verify it. (Mayra)
  • On heading to spot news - it's better to figure out where you're going before you set out. It's more important that you get there. Although sometimes it seems like it takes up time to stop to take a look around, or make sure you are heading in the right direction - in the end, it might actually save you time because you may see something that you hadn't before. (Mayra)
  • If you are standing on public property, you are entitled to be there. I've heard this a million times, but at one of the spot news locations I was at today, I was told I needed to stand an entire block away from where the action was at. Because it was an authority figure who was talking to me, I backed down. But if it's public property - which it was, and it's not blocked off by police tape - and it wasn't - then I have every right to be there. (Mayra, Nick, Julio)
  • Today Steve told me (and he's told me before) the best advice he's ever been given was to shoot every assignment like a photo story. Shoot your beginning, middle and end - an overall shot, a detail, a reaction - capturing emotion, emotion, emotion.
  • Visualize the event before you get there. How are you going to shoot this? Think about what you think you might see and although you may get there and it might be completely different than what you expect, it's important to go into an assignment with an idea of what you want to bring back. (Steve)
  • Capture the emotion, the reaction. (Mayra, Melissa, Nick)
  • Come up with a great story idea - and execute it. Do research on it, have statistics to back it up and make sure it's visually appealing for a photo story - then sell it. (Johnny)
  • As a college student, it can be very effective to focus on a different aspect of photography each semester. One semester you can focus on light - and you shoot an assignment like you would, but you really concentrate on all the elements of light. The next semester you might focus on really capturing those moments. The next semester you might focus on keeping your background clean. That way you aren't taking all the different elements of photojournalism and trying to pack it all in. By the time you spend as much time as you do on each specific thing - you can put it all together in the end. Plus, by focusing on each of these aspects separately - you will have 10 outstanding photos at the end of your college career. (Johnny)
  • It's better to have 10 outstanding photos that blow an editor away, than 25 average photos. (Johnny)
  • Concentrate on the technical aspects of your camera and photography when you are at home - that way when you go to shoot an assignment, you aren't messing with those aspects - you're just composing. (Steve)
  • Practice makes perfect. Use assignments as your "game" - use home as practicing. (Steve)
  • When using flash - just use it as a kiss of light...don't pop it out too much - there's only one sun. (Steve)
  • One technique that can be effective in a dark room or place is popping a flash with a slow shutter speed. Use the rear end setting though so that the motion falls behind the focused subject. (Steve)
  • As far as access goes - research your subjects and the places they are in. Learn who is in charge of what and talk around - usually knowing someone will help you get to where you need to be. (Johnny)

Although parts of the day were a bit rough, at the end of the day - I looked back on everything I learned. At the end of the day, Mayra Beltran walked into the photo room and as she sat down to work - I bugged her with my questions. For each thing that went wrong, I formulated a question and it was amazing to me that she took the time out of her work time to teach me. She gave me various scenarios and how she would deal with them, she told me stories about her own experiences - both good and bad, she talked to me about approaching people and dealing with the appearance barrier that we deal with at times, and really - the list goes on.

I continue to be amazed at the effort these photographers, photo editors and the photo director put forth to help me and my fellow interns learn. I believe that they truly do care about what I take away from this internship. It's really inspiring to have people out there looking out for those of us who are up and coming into the real world. I only hope that when I venture back to the DI newsroom - I am able to provide my staffers with the insight that I've gained in these last couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment