Friday, July 31, 2009

TGIF

Day Five. It's friday.

I've managed to make it to the end of the first week of my internship.

I had one photo shoot today. The story was about a photo exhibit that was recently put up at the Holocaust Museum Houston. The photos were of Albanian Muslims who had helped save Jews during the Holocaust.

It was an interesting story and the exhibit had beautiful photographs. I was there from 9:45 a.m. until about 1:45 p.m. waiting for people to walk through it and try to get a decent photo out if it. I used the reflections from the photos to see the photos hanging on the other side of the wall and to get people's reflections inside the photographs that were displayed. It was difficult.

I met some interesting people there though. I met a 15 year old girl who was absolutely fascinated by the Holocaust and couldn't believe how some people in this world had acted. There was a retired man who had just finished a class on history and started to choke up when he was talking about people's lack of compassion for others.

Then, I met a Holocaust survivor who told me he came from Portland when he was 17 years old. The man is now 80 and is one of the founders of the Holocaust Museum Houston. I can only imagine the story he has to tell. He was on his way to a speech so I didn't get a lot of time with him, but got his number and I'm hoping to pursue a story on him before I leave Houston.

I took the photos back to my editor. He selected 5. The one he liked best was one that was framed well, showed the exhibit and had an artistic touch to it as well - two people mirroring each other. He pointed out that he could tell I was thinking and told me to be patient when I'm shooting and wait for the shot. He also advised to take several frames as people move in and out of them because you never know which one will line up perfectly.

It was a little bit more of a successful shoot and he chose 5 photos for me to turn in. A good note to end on on a Friday.

I was finally introduced to Michael Paulsen today. I asked him to please give me a one on one on portraits. He said he would, but explained that it's easy and you just build your image from the back forward. I'm going to try that with the girls this weekend and see what I can pull off.

He also showed me how I can archive the Houston Chronicle system and look at everyone's work...something I will be taking advantage of very soon. He offered to take me on a shoot with him tonight but by the time I got his message I was already back home in Kingwood. I will be taking him up on the offer sometime next week though, for sure. I am also hoping to tag along with Mr. Johnny Hanson on a video run.

I got tips from Karen Warren on how to deal with men who harass you while you're trying to do your job. I think I will be taking her advice by buying a ring and sticking it on my left hand finger to portray myself as "taken." We'll see if that works at all. Otherwise I have to just stand my ground and put up with it.

I listened and watched as Nick de la Torre edited his stills and video for an assignment he shot today. I talked to him briefly on when do you shoot video and when do you do stills. It's really a toss up that I think I will be learning soon.

On my way home, I called my very first mentor ever...who I also refer to as my brother Ben. I talked to him about what I've been up to and got emotional support from him. He knows how to deal with me...and he's a very key reason to why I am at where I'm at. It was great to hear his voice and his insight.

On that note, it was a pretty good Friday. I was glad to get home to see the girls and eat dinner with Megan. This weekend should be fun, yet relaxing. I'm looking forward to having my feet up, going to Baby's R Us, doing a little shopping, playing games, and on top of it all I will make sure to practice taking portraits of the three little cuties who helped bring me here in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. Don't ever get rid of this blog. I am pretty much in love with it. I went back and read everything again and took away not only some of the photo advice but some of the little tidbits about working at a newspaper and thinking creatively. Keep it coming JK.

    ReplyDelete