Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day Two: New Adventures

Day two at the Chronicle started off well. I found a parking spot immediately, and was to work 20 minutes early. Once again I was greeted by Director of Photography, Mr. Steve Gonzales, a man I've become very fond of - and it didn't take long. He's very passionate about what he does, who he works with, and genuinely cares about his staffers and what is produced in the paper.

After filling 0ut an abundant amount of paper work, I walked four blocks to take a drug test - my first ever. Brief recap: Take everything out of your pockets, fill this up, do not flush, do not wash your hands, set it on the table when you're done. I'm glad I had nothing else to worry about besides my own hygiene, but I was luckily greeted with hand sanitizer when I walked out.

After that, I realized I didn't have my social security card down here, so they sent me to the Social Security Administration office. This was like growing up in five minutes. Go call a cab, here is a voucher, have them take you to 3100 Smith Street, fill out an application for a replacement social security card, call a cab when you're done and come back. While at the security office - I learned no cell phones, guns or cameras are allowed in federal buildings (according to the security card, who continually yelled every time a phone rang). There were nearly 50 people waiting to have their number called and I sat patiently for 45 minutes until mine was called. Call a cab. Check. It's suprisingly extremely easy to get a replacement social security card.

I then headed back to the Chronicle to meet up with Mr. Gonzales again. He showed me the "8 mile tunnel" - an underground walkway of restaurants, fast food, Deli's, stores, beauty salons - you name it, they got it...for 8 miles. I was amazed - and felt like I was walking through an air port or something.

Then he took me up to the 60th floor of a building near the Chronicle to show me an incredible view of Houston. It was amazing and it looks like an incredible place to go to think.

I was then waiting for photojournalist Johnny Hansen, to shadow him at a press conference and shadow a videographer as well. Welcome to news - there was a breaking story: 6 ambulances reported to a multi-car crash near the freeway and as photojournalist Julio Cortez walked into the newsroom, he was sent out to shoot it. I had just met him nearly seconds before, and he looked at me and said, "Want to come with?" I was ready - but knew Steve had wanted me at this press conference. I looked at him; he looked at me and said - go ahead and go.

As luck will have it, the crash wasn't fatal so the paper wasn't covering it and by the time we reached it the final car was being towed away. No photo there. We drove around the rest of the afternoon looking for a feature. No success.

But there was success. I learned a ton from Mr. Cortez, who was pleasantly willing to answer any and all questions I asked as well as offer his own pieces of advice from time to time.

Highlights of what I learned today:
  • When looking for a feature - keep in mind the visual places you see from day to day. Then, drive/walk by them when you're in need and see if there's something going on. Look for interesting things: people walking down the street carrying a jumbled up umbrella to try and relieve the 100 degree heat (as we saw today), an interesting set up in a yard - and wait for people to be involved in it, etc. BUT don't force it if it's not there.
  • Photo Mechanic apparently has an incredible feature where you can not only type in the date, place, and other repetitive information in a special code for captions so you only have to write it once - but they also have a feature where you can download the rosters of teams, type in a code, and get their name, position and team in seconds without having to look it up. Amazing.
  • I was encouraged to attend conventions and workshops, become involved in journalism organizations, network like crazy and basically work to live.
  • Using various lighting techniques will help make a portrait - for people who struggle with portraits.
  • Shooting photographs is all about the reaction.
  • Down here in the big leagues - photos are sent after every inning during a baseball game.
  • On invasion of others' lives I was told this: You know when you aren't wanted, but usually you are at a place where you are because you've been invited. Don't abuse the power to be where you're at. You have to make sure that you give your subject space. Back off and quit clicking. Even if the moment seems timeless - take a step back.

It was a good day. I learned a lot. I met more incredible people who have the passion it takes to be a photojournalist. And to top it all off, I came home to four smiling girls and a lot of hugs! Even though the security alarm went off, not only waking the baby, but sending the police on their way - at the end of the day, I love where I'm at.

1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    I love the blog. You are doing an outstanding job. I won't have to drill you every minute with the same old questions! Your information and reflections are amazing.
    You are right where you should be!
    AD

    ReplyDelete