Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Brain Overload? Never...Day 3

Camera in hand...tomorrow I will be shooting photos for The Houston Chronicle. I will begin the morning with a portrait of the Lieutenant General. After that, I get my badge. When I'm done with that I will be shooting a feature at the Galleria Mall. Details to come tomorrow on the first REAL big day.

But first, here's how today went.
When I arrived at the Houston Chronicle this morning, I was directed to the studio. I've never seen so much studio equipment - even when I was an assistant to a studio photographer. Soft boxes, hair lights, paper rolls, C lights, "cookie sheets", make-shift walls, etc., etc., etc. You name it - they have it. And as photojournalist James Nielsen explained to me, if you don't have it - you make it. He showed me a ton of ropes to studio photography - including ways to light people, how to set it up, different ways to make a not so interesting photo - more interesting, how to bring out certain features in a person, etc. There was a lot of rolling going on in my brain as he nurtured it with all kinds of studio ideas for people, food and interior. Now, I'm excited to try some new techniques when I get back to Iowa.

But while I'm still in Houston, I'm going to concentrate on the assignments, making event shoots go smoothly and learning from all of these amazing people I've already met.

After the studio lesson, James and I headed to the Houston American Red Cross warehouse where we met the new CEO and photographed him while he gave us a tour. He was showing the stocks of supplies for when/if the next disaster hits. I shot photos - James shot photos, and then we headed out.

Back at the Chronicle I was able to talk with Nick and Julio again. I met Karen Warren, spoke with Brett Coomer and then was able to work with Johnny Hanson briefly.

Johnny, I hear, is an expert at video and has creative ideas to really produce a product. I told him today that I'm very interested in learning more about video and I'd love to go with him on his next shoot. He agreed and said he'd let me know. He was also nice enough to offer up his time - helping me connect to the internet, download an ftp site and above all - asked to see some of my work. We looked at one of my recent pieces and he gave me advice.

I had a nice conversation with Mr. Steve Gonzales again today. This time it was on the transition between being a photographer and becoming a photo editor. It was quite insightful and he was telling me how much he loved the job he is in now. Really though, any person who sees this man at work would be able to tell the passion he has for what he does. It's quite inspiring.

Today I received lesson four in safety - Although I would never think twice about this anywhere in Iowa, here is my safety check list that I've learned since I arrived:
  • GPS out of sight a block before parking.
  • Charger for GPS out of sight also...and don't even keep the suction cup on the window.
  • Don't have any ID's in sight inside your car at any time
  • Don't change or cash lying around
  • Nothing at all that looks valuable in your front or backseat...in fact don't even have anything in your backseat.
  • Have all of your camera gear sitting in the backseat waiting for you to take it out. Do not take stuff out of the trunk when you are going to shoot because people will watch until you leave and get into your car to get what you left behind.

It's kind of intense but I heard a number of stories about break-ins, stolen equipment and the rest of the crimes that coincide with living in a metropolitan city.

Exhausted tonight, but things are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment