Thursday, October 14, 2010

Looking Forward

As many know, when my internship at the Cedar Rapids Gazette ended this past August, I up and moved down to Wilmington, North Carolina. It was time for a change of pace, a change in scenery, and a change in life.

Contrary to the current state of economy, I never thought it would be this difficult to find a job. When I started looking, I concentrated on photojournalism positions, then newspaper positions...and realized that there weren't exactly openings in the area that I had fled to.

I told someone once, however, that photojournalism doesn't define me as a person. Thus I began looking at other jobs where I might find experience working in the psychology field. Considering I obtained a degree in psychology in addition to the Journalism and Mass Communication degree, it made sense. But what I have come to find out, is that nearly all open positions require 3 - 5 years of experience, if not a PhD.

And so I remain positive on my career outlook, even though my photojournalism experience entails about three years of work, and I only have about a year of experience in the psychology field.

But where I lack in professional experience to validate the skills I've obtained through life, I excel in written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. And more important than that, I am a compassionate and motivated worker.

And so I continue with the job search. At this point, applying to any and all positions that I'm qualified for. I won't let the lack of positions bring me down though. I have faith that in time, I will find what it is I'm looking for...an occupation that allows me to express my compassion for other people - helping them to learn that each and every one of them holds an important place in this world, and no matter what they do, they are making a difference. And if it's a dream come true, I will do so through my talent as a photojournalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment