Monday, September 28, 2009

The Multimedia World...and Executing

This weekend I was given a test.

I had been anticipating shooting the Iowa vs. Penn State game for several months. It was different than all the other games because only one photog was going. The pressure had been building and relaxing at the same time as the first few weeks of football season came together quite successfully.

I was told an hour before leaving for the trip that I was expected to not only complete a photo slideshow as we do for all the other games, but also gather audio and video during the game and compile a multimedia piece. We do this for home games but because of the traveling and other distress of away games - in the past we have completed a solid gallery for away games and called it good.

So it was a test. Photograph, gather audio and shoot video of the first Big Ten football game of the season - where both teams are 3-0 and anything can happen.

I was nervous. I was unconfident. I was a wreck.

But I was also excited.

I came up with a game plan and made a decision on how I was going to carry it through - to make sure that I got the number one job down - still photography - but captured compelling audio and storytelling video so that it could all be brought together in the end. I had plan.

And then it rained....so goodbye any preconceived notions of using the 5D.

So I focused on photos and gathered some audio.

When I went to put the piece together I had to really think how I was going to execute it. The last thing I wanted to do was just slap some audio onto the exact same photo gallery I had already sent to the web.

So I decided to take my still photos and give my audience some movement without video.


Click HERE to see how it came out. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment